Holley introduced the 3S Challenge in 2013 which stands for Speed, Stop & Steering. The Optima Batteries 3S Challenge combines elements of autocross and speed-stop into a single event that will test the ultimate limits of car and driver. Car balance- power, suspension set-up and brakes, along with driver skill and focus will be the keys to fast times. The 3S Challenge will be fun for both participants and spectators alike. The 3S Challenge will be part of the Grand Champion competition and will be held in place of the autocross on Sunday. It will be open to all participants signed up for autocross.
Registration limited to first 125 vehicles
The 3S Challenge is a competition featuring speed, stop and steering (3S). The format will be a side-by-side low speed down and back course layout that will feature a 180-degree turnaround, slalom, and a stop box. Course layout will be dependent on the available space. Each "run" will be a total of left side course time added to right side course time, plus any accumulated penalties. There will be a morning practice and qualifying session (competitors will get as many runs in the morning session as time allows) followed by a bracket single elimination session in the afternoon. Cone penalties (:02) will be assessed and a stop box penalty (:05) will be enforced.
- The registered owner must drive the vehicle for all events.
- All drivers will be required to sign a liability waiver. Passengers will not be allowed.
- A mandatory drivers meeting will be held prior to the first competition.
- All prize-eligible vehicles must represent a street capable vehicle with a strong resemblance to a current or former production model. No purpose built race cars or kit cars will qualify for awards in the autocross or speed stop event. The only open-wheeled vehicles allowed are '34-and-older domestic vehicles and replicas thereof. Other vehicles such as production “concept” cars may be allowed.
- All competitors must have current registration, proof of insurance, and a current driver's license.
- Each entrant will be issued a number and class that must be clearly visible on the windshield, side windows or rear window. White shoe polish is acceptable.
- Participants must use DOT approved tires. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. Street tires are defined as any treaded, non-competition street tire with a 200 tread wear rating or higher. No slicks, modified or shaved tires will be allowed and street tires must have a minimum 5/32-tread depth.
- Competitors must use a single set of tires for the entire event, no tire changing between events will be allowed. Tires will be marked during tech. Tire changes will be allowed in the event of a catastrophic failure, but replacements must be of the same manufacturer and model as those approved during tech inspection.
- Helmet use is required (SA2005) for both drivers and passengers. The autocross course design will attempt to keep speeds below 45 M.P.H. Drivers and passengers must provide their own helmets and motorcycle helmets will not be allowed.
- Participating cars must pass a basic safety inspection that will include but may not be limited to the following:
- Functional seatbelts.
- Proper brake pedal pressure and travel.
- Sufficient throttle return spring and secured battery.
- All lug nuts in place and tight.
- Hubcaps/clip-on center caps are to be removed.
- All loose items must be removed from vehicle. (Floor mats, things hanging from rearview mirror, cassettes, CDs, and glove box, console, trunk items.)
- Each segment of the event will be timed to 0.00.00. There is no maximum number of runs. Winners will be the vehicles in each class with the lowest time.
- The vehicle that travels from a dead stop at the starting position to the predetermined stop box in the quickest time will be the event winner for his/her class.
- There will be a :02 time penalty assessed for any displaced cones throughout the run.
- A :05-second time penalty will be assessed for exceeding the stop box during the 3S Challenge.
- Race director and event organizers will have COMPLETE discretion to deny or remove from competition anyone in the event for any reason.
- The autocross and 3S Challenge may be run rain or shine at event organizer’s discretion.
he 3S Challenge event will count toward the Holley LS Fest Grand Champion Award for competitors who compete in Drag Race, Autocross, 3S Challenge and Show-n-Shine.
* Event organizers reserve the right to change rules and class descriptions up to event time to promote fair and safe competition.
|1st:||$250 cash, LS Fest embroidered Jacket, free Optima battery of their choice
|2nd:||Optima Batteries Charger
|3rd:||Optima Batteries maintenance charger