Over the years, many performance cars have been designed to do one thing – go fast in a straight line with little regard for slowing down or stopping! Remember when the manufacturers used to publish their 0-60 mph measurements? Modern technology has delivered the capability to not only get up to speed quickly, but now stop on a dime and leave some change! The Speed Stop Challenge will pay its respect to the historical measurement, but our challenge will test both the acceleration and stopping capabilities of the competition vehicles with a surprise element to test the drivers as well. See below for classes, rules and safety requirements!
Speed Stop classes are currently as follows:
- Street Tires ABS (with Anti-lock Brake System)
- Street Tires without ABS
See tire descriptions in rules.
Speed Stop Results
- The registered owner must drive the vehicle for all events.
- All drivers will be required to sign a liability waiver. Passengers will not be allowed.
- A mandatory drivers meeting will be held prior to the first competition.
- All prize-eligible vehicles must represent a street capable vehicle with a strong resemblance to a current or former production model. No purpose built race cars or kit cars will qualify for awards in the autocross or speed stop event. The only open-wheeled vehicles allowed are '34-and-older domestic vehicles and replicas thereof. Other vehicles such as production “concept” cars may be allowed.
- All competitors must have current registration, proof of insurance, and a current driver's license.
- Each entrant will be issued a number and class that must be clearly visible on the windshield, side windows or rear window. White shoe polish is acceptable.
- Participants must use DOT approved street tires. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. Street tires are defined as any treaded, non-competition tire with a 200 tread wear rating or higher.
- Competitors must use a single set of tires for the entire event, no tire changing between events will be allowed. Tires will be marked during tech. Tire changes will be allowed in the event of a catastrophic failure, but replacements must be of the same manufacturer and model as those approved during tech inspection.
- Helmet use is required (SA2000) for all drivers.
- Participating cars must pass a basic safety inspection that will include but may not be limited to the following:
- Functional seatbelts.
- Proper brake pedal pressure and travel.
- Sufficient throttle return spring and secured battery.
- All lug nuts in place and tight.
- Hubcaps/clip-on center caps are to be removed.
- All loose items must be removed from vehicle.
(Floor mats, things hanging from rearview mirror, cassettes, CDs, and glove box, console, trunk items.)
- On board fire extinguisher – A 2.5 lb. Minimum, automotive BC fire extinguisher, with a secure quick-release mounting bracket. The extinguisher must be within easy reach of the driver.
- Each segment of the event will be timed to 0.00.00. There is no maximum number of runs. Winners will be the vehicles in each class with the lowest time.
- The vehicle that travels from a dead stop at the starting position to the predetermined stop box in the quickest time will be the event winner for his/her class.
- A :04-second time penalty will be assessed for exceeding the stop box during the speed stop challenge
- Race director and event organizers will have COMPLETE discretion to deny or remove from competition anyone in the event for any reason.
- The autocross and speed stop challenge may be run rain or shine at event organizer’s discretion.
The Speed Stop Challenge event will count toward the Holley LS Fest Grand Champion Award for competitors who compete in Drag Race, Autocross, Speed Stop and Show-n-Shine.
* Event organizers reserve the right to change rules and class descriptions up to event time to promote fair and safe competition.
For the two first place finishers: $250 Cash, Jacket, Plaque, and $1,000 off RACER price on purchase of any combination front and rear Baer Claw(r) Brake System.
For the two second place finishers: $500.00 off RACER price on purchase of any combination front and rear Baer Claw(r) Brake System.
For the two third place finishers: $250.00 off RACER price on purchase of any front or rear Baer Claw(r) Brake System.